How to make light work of commercial waste collection
It is not something we put much thought to, but all businesses produce waste in some form or other. Some companies will understandably produce more than others, depending on the nature of the industry they operate in. As a society we are becoming increasingly aware of the impact that commercial activities have on the environment, so responsibility lies with business owners to carefully consider their commercial waste management strategy.
Being environmentally conscious is now not only something that we should consider from a moral point of view, but it actually impacts customer behaviour as well. Consumers increasingly favour businesses that consider things such as recycling and protection of the environment. On top of this, there are legal requirements involved as well, which we will go into more detail about below.
It is often the case though, that for small and large business owners, how they dispose of their waste is not a top priority. In the hectic world of business, it feels like there are at least a million and one things to be thinking about, so it is not surprising that commercial waste collection is often contracted out. We recommend this as the easiest and most efficient way to stay on top of waste disposal. Keep on reading to learn the many benefits of contracting out your commercial waste management to a reliable, licensed waste carrier.
As you can see, commercial waste disposal is something that is hugely important to get right, from an environmental and a business perspective. Colson Transport Ltd are a family owned business with years of experience collecting and recycling trade waste in Nottingham, Derby & Leicester. We have put together this guide to provide you with some crucial information and advice, to make sure you don’t let your business get into a mess!
What is business or commercial waste?
According to the UK government, “any waste that comes from a commercial activity is business waste. If you use part of your home to run your business then any waste from that part is business waste.”
Whether you are a start up business operating out of your own home, or you are a large, established corporation, you will be producing business waste.
What is the best way to dispose of your commercial waste?
Given the legal and logistical complications, we recommend the easiest way to manage and dispose of your business waste is to outsource it to a specialist waste management company.
Whatever industry your business is in, you will be an expert in that field, but chances are you are not experts in waste management. At Colson Transport, all our time goes to waste (quite literally!). We are experts and can cover you in all aspects, including providing trade waste containers, regular collection, disposal and recycling of your waste.
What does the law say about disposing of business waste?
In line with the Environmental Protection Act 1990, it is essential that you take measures to safely contain and legally dispose of waste produced as a result of your business activities.
As well as this, as a business you are required to:
- Do all you reasonably can to prevent, reuse, recycle and recover waste
- Keep a waste transfer note for all non hazardous waste that you move off your premises
- If you use a waste management company, ensure they are a legally registered to dispose of waste (you can search their name to check if they have a waste carriers license here)
What are the benefits of outsourcing your business waste recycling and management?
- It will take a huge weight off your shoulders, not having to think about the legal complications involved with trade waste removal
- Free up your own time and your staff’s time to concentrate on pressing business matters
- Keep a rubbish free environment via frequent waste collection
- Rest easy knowing you are doing your bit for the environment – Colson Transport Ltd aim to recycle over 90% of the waste we collect!
- Financial savings in the long run
- Helps you build a positive brand image – We offer discounted rates as an incentive if you separate your recyclables into different containers, which creates a win win. You can save money AND demonstrate to clients that you are an environmentally conscious company.
Why choose Colson Transport?
We are your number one local business waste specialists in Nottingham, Derby and Leicester, with a strong reputation for reliability and competitive pricing. We believe in building up long lasting relationships with businesses who, like us, are committed to finding convenient solutions to problems that will help improve the environment we live and work in.
To speak to one of our specialists for advice, or to get a free quote, call now on 01773 304 619